Join The Community

Search

World Cup Ref Encourages Diving

English World Cup final referee Howard Webb has told Blackpool players to go down when caught by opponents rather than trying to stay on their feet if they want free-kicks.


Webb was giving a lecture to the Blackpool players as part of an FA initiative to improve the relationship between players and Referees.

Blackpool defender Ian Evatt explained: “Howard was basically here just to go over some refereeing decisions.

“He showed a bit of honesty and told us where we were going wrong. He spoke to me about why I didn’t get a foul against Manchester City when Carlos Tevez caught me in the build-up to one of their goals.

“He said I was too honest and stayed on my feet. He said if I had gone down it would make the decision easier to give.

“I think that is where we are too naive. Most of us have come through the Championship – a more honest game, so to speak.

“In the Premier League, if you fall over you tend to get decisions. We are not talking about cheating, but sometimes we have to be less naive and go down under a challenge.

“We’re not going to make a meal of it, just show there’s a foul. It makes the ref’s decision easier.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment